Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Aleppo - Day 2


So my trip to Aleppo started off kind of rough, but it got somewhat better. The main sight that I saw was the citadel, which was very cool. It was used as a power base for the Muslims during the Crusades (Lonely Planet). It was built on a very grand scale as you can see from the picture. The interesting about it other than its historical significance is that it appeared to be a kind of a hang out spot for teens from Aleppo. It costs about $3 for me to get in, but if you're Syrian it's only 30 cents, and from what I saw it seemed unlikely that the kids even paid that.

Other than the citadel, I just wondered around the city. It had a number of narrow roads and a not a whole lot of landmarks so I really feared getting horrible lost. Nothing stood out in particular, just a lot of people around. Most women with their head and face covered, especially in comparison to Damascus.

The hostel that I said in the second night was absolutely horrible. It cost $5 a night and I felt like I was getting screwed. I was in a room that was about 3ft by 8ft, but the worst part was the bathroom. The shower head was right over the toilet, and both looked gross. I ended up waiting until I got to Damascus to shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment