Friday, April 3, 2009

Israel

Today I entered Israel. It took me about 4 hours to get across the border and I had to be questioned by two different security guards. I expected some issues because I had been to Syria and had those stamps in my passport. I don't really agree with that concern, but I understand it. However, that is not what caused them to hold me up at the border. Instead it was because my middle name is "Asare." The first security person checking passports asked me how to pronounce it, and I did. Then called someone else over to listen to me say it. I guess at this point it sounded potentially threatening, or maybe I looked too potentially Arab, because they felt the need to call in a security gaurd to question me as well as a large individual with a large machine gun to make sure I didn't try anything. I really don't know and can only speculate because they didn't tell me.

After questioning me about my trip for about 30 minutes, I was allowed to go through the metal dector and send my bags through. After my bags went through, they still wanted to search them so we went through all of my stuff. Finally they let me repack my bag, and there was one really nice security guard that offered to help.

Now it was one to the next point where they asked me about where I was staying. I told them and they started to ask about my trip so far. My explanation caused them to send me into a little office were another security guard questioned me for about 45 minutes about my trip. Then she told me to wait outside on the bench. As I did for the next two hours. Finally, they decided I wasn't a threat and allowed me to cross the border four hours after I arrived.

I went to a cab outside the border and asked him to take me to the bus station. At this point it was 12:30pm, he asked where I was going, and I told him the Dead Sea. He told me there would be no buses going to that area because it was too late on a Friday. So I took the cab to a hostel in Eliat to find that there was a festival in town and all of the hotels and hostels were booked. I still tried a couple more hotels - mostly out of my price range anyway. Next I went to an internet cafe, who's internet stopped working as I walked in the door. Finally, at 2:30pm, I decided to head to the bus station and just look for a bus to anywhere. At that point, I found out that the last bus to the Dead Sea area left at 1:00pm (blast that cab driver), but that there was a 3:00pm bus to Tel Aviv. I got the ticket and got on the bus. At this point in time, I still don't know where I'm staying, but the guy next to me has a Lonely Planet. I asked to borrow it, find a hostel, show up, and get a room.

All is well again.

More later on Petra, which was amazing, and Damascus.

See all the pictures at http://picasaweb.google.com/robert.aikins

6 comments:

  1. Haha, you really do look like you fit in.

    Also, don't forget...safe sex is great sex, better use latex so you don't get the i'm late text...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least the security officer was kind when they were racially profiling you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one that was racially profiling me was a jerk. The kind security officer didn't seem to think me a threat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh ... israel. i hate to say "i told you so" but "i told you so." boaz is at his parent's place in jerusalem. don't hesitate to contact boaz or his parents if you need help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry Rob. I hope Israel shows you some love. Glad you had fun in Petra - it's amazing!
    Happy Trails!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yea..Rob..am sorry you going thru this all cos of ur Last Name..i will go have a serious talk with ur father..i didnt know terrorist were called Asare either..heeyyy unless there are Ghanaian terrorist..ha..

    ReplyDelete